Monday, October 25, 2010

My IVF : The Embryo Transfer Day

7 October 2010
It was our Big Day...
Alhamdullillah... thanks to God... my heartburn was a bit better...however still having some mild pain. At least my condition was better than last night.
Just like the Egg Retrieval, after i had my shower, i just put my clothes on.. no make-up, perfume etc.....same goes to my hubby. We had some light breakfast at home. I drink 2 glasses of water..need to ensure i was in full bladder when i reached the clinic for the procedure.


The Embryo Transfer was scheduled at 11am. But somehow my bladder was not full when i reached the clinic at 10.30am. The embryologist took us to the recovery room, which was at the other end of the same floor. Next to the room was the lab and the Embryo Transfer procedure room. This room though was just small, but it was pretty cosy, nicely decorated with a fluffy recliner sofa, a cute IKEA Stockholm easy chair.. few magazines, a small cabinet to keep our stuffs. I was asked to change to purple OT-like clothes.. but this time i was allowed to wear my bra. Then the embryologist took me to the procedure room to scan my bladder while my husband wait at the recovery room. She told us that husband can also be in the procedure room during the Embryo Transfer procedure.. but i just told her.. err.. it's ok.. he can just wait outside.. (well i'm not comfortable having my husband around while the doctor carried out the procedure..you can guess why, right ;) ).
Oh.. my bladder was only 1/4 full when the embryologist did the first scan. She asked me to drink another 300ml plain water and wait for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, my bladder still not full. So have to wait another 10 minutes. My bladder was finally full. So she said.. ok.. she'll informed the doctor. After 10 minutes the doctor came.. by that time..i was really feel like passing the urine..fuuhs
The doctor did a scan on my bladder just to ensure it was full.. then he did some scan of my uterus.. just to ensure the uterus was in normal condition because i told him that i was still having some pain at my lower abdomen. Everything looked ok. So he said, " OK.. i will check your embryo in the lab first.". Err another waiting game...
After like 5 minutes, he returned to the room with 3 of his assistants, he said, "You got 6 fertilised embryos. I will transfer 2 embryos today and have the balance 4 embryos frozen". Alhamdullillah. Thank God...
So, the Embryo Transfer begins... dup dap dup dap..
First, my leg was tied to the leg holder so that my legs would be really wide open (just like  during labor). Then the doctor inserted the speculum and catherer into my vagina. At the same time his assistant scanned my uterus from my tummy so that the doctor able to visualise the uterus in the monitor.. Oh ya.. why need to be "full bladder"? It's because when the bladder is full, the doctor can have an excellent ultrasound visualisation and better angle between the cervix and uterus so that the embryos can be placed at the best position in the uterus.


From the monitor, i can see clearly the thin catherer inside my uterus. The doctor took quite sometime to adjust the position of the catherer and speculum. At one time, i really could not stand the torture to pass my urine. So i asked the doctor, "How many longer is it going to take. I really cannot stand to pass urine..". The doctor answered, " Another 1 or 2 minutes"..Then he said " Ok we are going transfer 2 embryos now". So his assistant took the embryos from the lab (just next the procedure room). Then the doctor inserted the catherer which contains the embryos into my uterus. Within like not even a minute, he said, "Ok, i've inserted the embryos. Now we will check the catherer to ensure that no embryo left in it." His assistant then checked the catherer.. then she said " OK..all cleared".. The doctor immediately removed the speculum from my vagina.. and fuhhhss.. what a relief..
I was asked to lie on the bed for at least another 20 minutes before i can go to the toilet. Meanwhile, the doctor explained to me what he has done just now. He show me on the monitor, the 2 embryos that were inserted into my uterus. The 2 embryos looked glowing...what a very beautiful and unforgettable moment to be able to see the embryos in my uterus (i should have taken the picture of it .. sigh.. ). Then the doctor explained about the frozen embryos, we need to sign some consent letters and etc etc.. i was kinda dizzy at that time.. so can't really concentrate on what the doctor said.. erm.. i should have call my husband to join me in the room... it seems that i have trouble to remember so many things lately.
After the explanation.. he left the room, then the embryologist came to see me. She told me there were actually 12 embryos that were successfully fertilized. 6 of them were good quality (2 has been transfered into my uterus, another 4 has been frozen). Another 6 were still under monitoring.. if they managed to be in good quality as well, they will also be frozen. .. oo OK .. ;)
The 20 minutes passed. I finally allowed to go to the toilet.... after that i continue resting in the recovery room for about another 30 minutes before i can change my clothes and go home.
My next appoinment will be another 5 days.. the doctor said during this appointment, he will do a scan to see the condition of my uterus and give me another medication. I prayed hard everything will be ok.


In short, it was a wonderful experience, the Embryo Transfer process is not painful at all.. it's just the agony of holding the "full-bladder" .... can't imagine what would happen if i cannot control my bladder at that time.. hehehe.
So, i was officially on my 2 weeks waiting.... Yeayy !!

   
Happy me... jams

14 comments:

  1. Hi Jam...

    Can't wait to read what happend next. Good luck for your 2ww. Really enjoy reading your blog. I am TTC. Me & Hubby were thinking about IVF.Tengah kumpul 'ongkos'nya... hehehe. Anyway, good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi..
    thanks for reading my blog ;).. hope this blog would help you & hubby deciding for ivf..Yes, "ongkos" is one of the major barrier for couples when it comes to ivf (that includes me ;))
    Anyway.. do visit my blog again. Still quite a lot of things to update. My English is not so good, so i take longer time to write each posting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are great that you still dare to look at the scan, I feel the pain and close my eyes until I tear off..I can not stand the pain when the doctor use the speculum to open my vaginal + the press for the bladder. Once the doctor finish the procedure, i knew that he intend to talk to me and explain to me, but he was so shocked how come I cried... hahahaha... He say will explain to me later once I recover.

    But unluckily, after 10 mins the embryologist say I can wake up and go to washroom. I went for 3 times. Now u can imagine how full is my bladder.

    After that, I back to the clinic, but there is too many patients and the nurse not arrange me to see the doctor. They gave me some medicine, then ask me to rest and home and come back for blood test after day 12.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i follow u r blog everyday..wonderful..i jgk ttc..gd luck..hope da gd news soon..

    ReplyDelete
  5. hi all..
    thanks a million for visiting and read my stories ;).

    lovebaby..
    Even though, at that time i was so nervous.. i keep on looking at the monitor.. just don't to miss the moment when the embryos were inserted into my uterus.. ;)
    Hope to get good news from you. Do update us here ya ..

    ReplyDelete
  6. dear jams,

    how many days of mc can we get from dr prashant for the egg retrieval and embryo transplant procedure ? is he liberal in giving mc ?

    -angel-

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear angel,
    I was given 7 days of mc starting from the day i did the egg retrieval.

    My egg retrieval was on 4 Oct 2010.
    My embryo transfer was on 7 Oct 2010 ie 3 days after the retrieval.
    My MC is from 4 - 10 Oct 2010.
    Not sure whether the doctor would give you extra MC if you requested for extra.
    Why not you give it a try..maybe the doctor is kind enough to give you 2 weeks mc ;)
    ...jams

    ReplyDelete
  8. dear jams,

    i really appreciate what you have shared with all your blog readers. The information in your blog is really helpful to all. :)

    I pray that God give us all the strength to go through this long journey.....

    -angel-

    ReplyDelete
  9. hi Jams,

    hope u remember me ;), i did my et, 2nd cycle ivf today, Well outcome is similar to previous cycle, 7 eggs, 4 mature, 3 fertilize, only 2 survived till d3.

    Compared to my results in both ivf, u've got great results in terms of egg, fertilization and embryos. So you are very lucky. don't give up. when it is the right time you will get prego.

    i'm now on 2w wait.

    jus wanna check with you i read u got married in may 2004, we too got married in same month same year. are u born in seven seven year too?

    tc Jams, look forward to hear from you

    ReplyDelete
  10. Check out my blog http://my-ivf-journey.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi angel.. of course i still remember u ;).
    What a coincidence ya.. we got married on 01.05.2004.. (Labor day.. easy to remember and every year, no need to take extra leave to celebrate cause it's a public holiday anywhere in the world..hehe).. and yes i was born 1977.

    Dont worry if u just get 2 embryos.. more embryo doesn't mean that the ivf will succeed. Maybe this time it's your turn to get the baby dust.. who knows ;)

    DO enjoy your 2WW.. and don't forget to update me the result ya.

    Take care..jams

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Wannabe..
    Great blog.. do update us on ur 2nd ivf ya ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. ok what a co-incidence, my hubby too same age how about urs? yes i'm on 2 ww, but i think i'm not pregnant as i'm not having any symptoms. Fingers crossed.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great Information about Embryo Transfer.Thanks for sharing this informative post.Your post has created some awareness in common people about Embryo Transfer. Read More information about fertility laparoscopic surgery chennai | non invasive surgery anna nagar

    ReplyDelete

Do share your comment and thought here... ;)